People love to wrap gifts for the holidays. About a quarter of all Americans say that the act of wrapping gifts does more to put them in the holiday spirit than doing their shopping does. Every year, people spend about $2.9 billion on commercial holiday wrapping paper and related accessories, according to Hallmark. Approximately 71% of all shoppers prefer to wrap the gifts they give. Nearly 19% prefer to use a gift bag. From buying wholesale holiday wrapping paper to getting more organized, there are things you can do to make your wrapping experience better and easier to manage.
Tips for how to approach wrapping gifts:
- Do not wait to do it all at once. Rather than buying all your gifts and then spending an evening or day wrapping all of your gifts, wrap them as you buy them. You do not have to do it all, you may want to just use your commercial wrapping paper to get the gifts wrapped and then save the addition of ribbons or bows for a later time. It is easier to stack gifts that do not have the ribbons or bows attached.
- Use a color coding system. If you are buying a lot of gifts for people, pick a color for each person or family that you are giving gifts to. Keep that in mind when you are buying wholesale holiday wrapping paper. This can make it fun for kids to see their colored gifts.
- Save money by buying wholesale holiday wrapping paper after the holiday season ends. After the holidays, bulk Chanukah paper and bulk Christmas wrapping paper go on sale the. If you have a place where you can store it, stock up at the end of the season for next year.
- Keep all your supplies together. There are more supplies involved in wrapping gifts than just the commercial gift wrap itself. You probably have ribbons, bows, tape and tags. After you are done wrapping for the year, you can get a plastic storage bin to keep it all in. This will keep it all together and in one place so you will not have a hard time finding it the following year.
- Buy a rotary cutter. If you do not have one already, you should look into buying one. They can create decorative edges on your industrial gift wrap that will give your presents a really professional and fun look. You can get different kinds of blades to create wavy or pinked edges.
- Get a cutting mat. If you use a rotary cutter or any kind of utility knife, you want to get a mat so that you can protect the surfaces you are using to do your wrapping. You can get a mat that has self healing qualities that will also protect the blades on your X-Acto knife or rotary cutter so they do not get dull. These mats are great at resisting wear and tear.
- Reuse, reduce and recycle your wholesale holiday wrapping paper. If you have a shredder, you can put your used holiday gift wrap through and then use the shreds to line gift bags or boxes. This is a much more environmentally friendly way to fill a package than using styrofoam peanuts.
Steps to make the wrapping process easier:
- Cut the right size of paper. One of the main problems people run into is when they cut a piece of paper for a gift and do not get the size right. Too little paper will not cover the gift and too much can be problematic. Each piece should reach just beyond the half way point on the sides and all the way around, leave an extra inch for overlap.
- Get some double stick tape. This will make your life a lot easier. Use this liberally. You should use longer pieces because they are better to keep the paper where you want it to be. Tape the paper to the gift and then to the other part of the piece of paper.
- Match up your seams. At the corners, you should make creases to help make the process of folding the paper easier and look more professional.
You can have fun and create beautiful presents by following these tips.